Pharma R&D Today
Ideas and Insight supporting all stages of Drug Discovery & Development
Selecting Anti-Melanoma Drug Targets
Posted on August 28th, 2017 by Patricia Morgan in Pharma R&D
Every year, hundreds of thousands of people are diagnosed with melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer. Although rates of melanoma have continued to rise over the last three decades, the traditional treatment—chemotherapy—has had limited effectiveness in fighting this aggressive cancer.As a result, there is a strong demand for the development of better therapies.
Scientists searching for new melanoma treatments have been focusing their drug development efforts on anti-melanoma immunotherapeutics. This is a promising area, but identifying targets requires the ability to answer complex biological questions, such as:
• Which proteins are exposed on melanoma cells and can, therefore, be targeted?
• How do melanoma cells suppress the patient’s immune system?
• Which factors can re-activate the anti-tumor response?
The case study “Selecting the best immunotherapy targets based on melanoma disease biology” illustrates how Elsevier’s Pathway Studio®, along with its new CellEffect™ data resource, enables researchers to find the answers to these queries. What’s more, it makes it possible to get those answers quickly, often in one session, so users get back more time for research and analysis.
Pathway Studio’s comprehensive content (e.g. more than 10,000 journals, millions of PubMed abstracts and over 164,000 clinical trials), which is updated weekly, as well as its sophisticated search capabilities, offers users a breadth and depth of literature access that is otherwise difficult to come by. Along with its powerful analytical and visualization tools, this research solution is an asset for scientists in need of data-driven information to support discovery decisions.
All opinions shared in this post are the author’s own.
R&D Solutions for Pharma & Life SciencesWe're happy to discuss your needs and show you how Elsevier's Solution can help.
Product Marketing Manager
- The Beneficial Impacts of Real-World Evidence in Drug Development
- Data-Driven Technologies are Shaking Up the Drug Development Process
- Three ways to reduce the cost of precision medicine
- Pharma’s Path to Adopting AI and Other Emerging Technologies
- Drug Development Insights from the 36th Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference