Pharma R&D Today
Ideas and Insight supporting all stages of Drug Discovery & Development
Elsevier to Work with Heel for Mechanism-based Drug Action Discovery
Posted on January 6th, 2021 by Thea Howe in Pharma R&D
Elsevier, the data analytics business specialized in science and health, and Heel, a pharmaceutical company specialized in developing and manufacturing medicines made from natural ingredients, have recently completed a series of research projects with a focus on improving exploratory preclinical studies.
“We at Heel are pioneers in the field of systems research and have a strong commitment to scientific excellence and the generation of evidence. Our aim is to find out how these medicines work in the body and to develop therapies which are tailored even more to patients’ medical needs,’’ said Dr. Kathrin Hemmer, a scientist at Heel. “We chose to partner with Elsevier because of its expertise in scientific information search. Assistance from the Professional Services group allowed us to get a single access to all the Elsevier’s R&D solutions advancing our exploratory research programs.”
“Research success requires connecting, combining and harmonizing data from different sources. We are helping researchers to select the best evidence-based strategy for mechanism-based drug action”, said Dr. Taisiya Bezhaeva, Professional Services Consultant at Elsevier.
“Together with Heel, we designed a series of projects to find preclinical models for drug action discovery, identify key biomarkers, and research platforms validated by the international research community. We focused on the broad range of disease areas, overall covering more than 10000 literature sources, as well as FDA and EMA drug approval documents. We also supported researchers by providing key opinion leaders (KOL) and potential academic and commercial partners helping Heel to direct and facilitate the course of their studies”, said Dr. Maria Shkrob, Senior Consultant in Professional Services at Elsevier.
ELSEVIER SOURCES AND METHODS
- Embase (https://www.embase.com) provides unparalleled coverage of the biomedical literature
- Elsevier Text Mining (https://demo.elseviertextmining.com) uses Natural Language Processing and deep taxonomy-based indexing to find concepts and relations between them
- PharmaPendium (https://www.pharmapendium.com) provides access to comprehensive drug safety information, drug metabolism, clinical efficacy data and FDA and EMA drug approval documents
- Scopus (https://www.elsevier.com/solutions/scopus) uses complex algorithms of author and institution disambiguation to identify key opinion leaders and key research institutions for a specific area
- SciVal (https://www.elsevier.com/solutions/scival) allows users to visualize research performance, develop strategic partnerships, and identify and analyze new, emerging research trends
- Connecting, combining and harmonizing data from different sources
- Big-data & evidence-based approach to identify complex molecular mechanisms and biological networks for natural active compounds
- Such approach combined with advanced text-mining technologies and statistics is a powerful, feasible and universal analytic method to select the best strategy for exploratory research to demonstrate pharmacodynamic actions, safety and efficacy
- Support to strengthen scientific credibility and facilitate market positioning
R&D Solutions for Pharma & Life SciencesWe're happy to discuss your needs and show you how Elsevier's Solution can help.
Project Manager at Elsevier Life Sciences Professional Services
Connect on LinkedIn
- Elsevier and LG: Turning data into action
- Umesh Nandal: Chemist and data scientist in one
- The power of similarities to accelerate antiviral development for COVID-19
- AI-driven innovation in life sciences: Unlocking the page – 20+ years of digital innovation at Elsevier
- AI-driven innovation in Life Sciences: Data Science & AI amplifies your innovative drug R&D capabilities